Archive for the 'Health' Category

Sep 08 2011

Running and Overdoing Water Intake

Here is a quote from Science Daily about recreational runners:

Drinking too much fluid while running can cause a potentially fatal condition called exercise-associated hyponatremia. It occurs when runners drink even when they are not thirsty. Drinking too much during exercise can dilute the sodium content of blood to abnormally low levels.  Science Daily

It may pay to read this if you are a recreational runner or perform exercises which make you sweat a lot.


No responses yet

Oct 24 2010

FDA Consumer Safety Alert – Belladonna Hazard

Published by under Health,safety

The FDA has released an alert on Hyland’s teething tablets that may or may not contain toxic levels of belladonna.

Hyland’s Teething Tablets are manufactured to contain a small amount of belladonna, a substance that can cause serious harm at larger doses. For such a product, it is important that the amount of belladonna be carefully controlled. FDA laboratory analysis, however, has found that Hyland’s Teething Tablets contain inconsistent amounts of belladonna. In addition, the FDA has received reports of serious adverse events in children taking this product that are consistent with belladonna toxicity. The FDA has also received reports of children who consumed more tablets than recommended, because the containers do not have child resistant caps.
The FDA advises consumers to consult their health care professional if their child experiences symptoms such as seizures, difficulty breathing, lethargy, excessive sleepiness, muscle weakness, skin flushing, constipation, difficulty urinating, or agitation after using Hyland’s Teething Tablets.

Here is the link:

No responses yet

Apr 27 2009

Swine Flu- Get the Facts!

I want to pass some more reliable links on for clearing the air on the severity of the swine flu outbreak and updates on progress clearing it up.

WHO Disease Outbreak News page is a good place to start. They track many health issues as well. Google News is another place to get information.

Avoid social networking places like Twitter, MySpace, etc, as you will read of everything from space aliens and terrorists creating the end of the world on through to news outlets making it up due to lack of other things to report on.

Readiness? Simple: You should already have some food and water stocked for “whatever” just in case there is a rush fearing the stores will close. I try to keep several days of food and water stocked in case of severe weather or any other emergency at all times.

Prevention? Again simple: Practice what your mother taught you about washing your hands and not standing in front of a messy sneeze! ~Duh!!! Oh, and make your mom happier and make sure you eat properly…

What to do? Go about your daily life… Keep informed, and don’t fall for off-the-wall “word of mouth” news. If you hear something off the wall, check the local media, CNN, BBC, wherever you normally get your news from (but not your next door gossip).

One final note: Beware of scams related to swine flu. There will certainly be all sorts of scams surfacing trying to separate you from your money. Do not fall for masks that collect 100% of germs forever, watch out for snake oil type cures. You know…simply don’t fall for people walking up to you on the street with goods that will keep you perfectly safe.

Last note: Beware of malware sent in emails targeted to get your attention about swine flu “news”. Now is the perfect time for malware writers to send infected videos of “the President” talking about the possible pandemic or other well known people talking about it. “Secret tips” on preventing becoming infected will be making the rounds most likely. If you do receive such an email, dump it. If it comes from a friend, ask them if they actually did send it to you, and even then be cautious as they may not realize that they have a worm installed on their computer from that email yet – and of course, it may sound plausable so nobody suspects anything.

Bottom line: COMMON SENSE should prevail! Get your facts from the media and not the neighborhood gossip or the know-it-all in line behind you at the store.

No responses yet

Oct 21 2007

Folding @ Home!!

Published by under A-All posts,Computing,Health

I know, the title probably sounds like a chore related with doing laundry… It ain’t!!! It’s actually medical research.

Folding is what proteins do when they do what they do do. When they fold wrong, bad things like Alzheimer’s, and other problems occur. This can explain it better than I can.

Thousands of hours of thousands of computers working on the same thing yield microseconds of real time simulation. Folding @ Home is their way to reduce the time it takes to simulate this process. People volunteering the unused processor time on their computers is what makes this possible. Each computer is given a project to run and then report the results back, and then receive another assignment

This is much faster than trying to simply use “supercomputers” to do the work. Being a fan of technology, I ran across DL.TV some time ago. They support Folding @ Home, and have formed a group (number: 757391) to promote a bit of community and even a bit of friendly competition to other groups participating in the Folding project. Their site is If you don’t see a group that interests you, DL.TV would love to have you as a new group member! Check out their episode 200, where Robert Heron intervies Vijay S. Pande, a professor and the creator of the Folding @ Home project.

As I said, the competitive spirit is friendly, with everybody knowing that medical science and mankind being the real winner. EXTREME Overclocking graciously operates a wonderful site dedicated to Folding news and stats.

The Stanford site has software to download for just about everything out there including the newer video game consoles!

For those worried about errors, each assignment is repeated several times by different computers. This helps prevent unintentional and malicious errors from being introduced. The same repetition would occur if they didn’t use anything but their own computers.

No responses yet

May 26 2007

Coffee: High Energy Gout Prevention for Men?

Published by under A-All posts,Health

Latest studies show that men who drink four or five cups of coffee per day show a 40% less likely chance of developing gout. Six or more cups seemed to point to almost 60% less likelihood of gout.

The coffee has to be the loaded type, decaf does not make any difference. Before you go out looking for caffeine, researchers do not believe it is the reason. Decaffeinating coffee causes many changes to the chemistry of coffee. They are now trying to see just what chemical or combination of chemicals does the trick.

This study involved only men, so it is not known if women would have the same benefits.

Coffee use has been linked to several health problems such as osteoporosis, gastrointestinal problems, as well as the common anxiety, irritability, etc., effects.


SooToday The Globe and Mail Senior

I guess the discussion will turn to whether the benefits or risks outweigh each other, and would other foods or drinks offer the same results, but without any possible negative side effects of coffee.

I love coffee, and drink probably more than I should for any reason.

No responses yet

Next »